Thursday, April 28, 2011

Week 1

This weeks catch? The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien.


I decided to start with something I love. But here, I must be honest. I have never before read this book. Now, before I get complaints from appalled people, I must expose why. I was raised in an environment that dissuaded extensive reading. Naturally, J.R.R. Tolkien was not my first choice. Well, that is until the movies came out. I have to admit, I was just starting high school when I was first introduced to this elaborate world. Now that that is out of the way.

The Silmarillion. I loved its picturesque detail. Every bit of it. The intriguing dialogue felt like a Norse legend, and rightly so. I never knew how imaginative Middle Earth was. How it all came to be. Reading this story, you feel as if you are watching everything unfold.

What I loved the most? The story of Feanor son of Finwe. He was the earth shattering downfall of the Eldar. It was he who created the Silmarils. I don't know why, but his entire story shakes my foundation to the very core. The battles of the Valar against Morgoth was epic and interesting, but nothing compared to Feanor.

It's interesting to note that Luthien and Beren were actually symbolic of Tolkien and his wife. The fact that their story was sad... made me smile. I have never been one for riding off into the sunset. I never wanted to be the princess that finds true loves kiss or whatever. I truly revel in a good tragedy. That makes me a little rough around the edges in a way, but who cares. It feels so good to see people struggle so much to be together, and then lose each other at the end. The bittersweet emotion just leaves me begging for more, but happy it ended. It's strange.

I also found Morgoth to be an interesting character as well. He hated Iluvatar so much that he wanted to destroy his very creation and become King of Arda. I can definitely see the religious symbolism in this, but also can feel Melkor (Morgoth) as a character. It's interesting how Tolkien was able to give life to once forgotten religious icons.

This is just a little blurb of my feelings. More to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment